Google
 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Let an ORCA eat your lunch.

I neglected to bring my lunch to work today so I went to the university dining hall to get some food. On the way in, I was greeted by a slideshow of a new machine the school has installed to reduce food waste. The ORCA is a biocomposting reactor that uses environmentally friendly microorganisms to transform food waste, paper and biodegradable plastic into water and carbon dioxide. In fact, the ORCA produces up to 10 times the amount of water it uses. Imagine what your institution could save in waste disposal costs!

If you are a decision maker at an institution that serves food, look into getting an ORCA or similar machine. You can visit Green Guard Associates to learn more about the ORCA.

The rest of us can do the following:

* Choose less packaging.
* Choose packaging and materials made from biodegradable plastics or paper.
* Try outdoor composting or indoor composting at your home.
* Encourage the higher-ups at your business, school, or other institution to consider getting a biocomposting reactor.

All of this is important because landfills contain more food and paper waste than diapers, styrofoam, and tires - combined. And even though food and paper are biodegradable, they need air and water to facilitate that process. The piles of compacted trash in landfills often don't degrade so they take up lots of space in the landfills. So find a way to compost your waste.

Thanks for the tip, Emory, and for lunch! Happy composting, everyone!

"An acre of performance is worth a whole world of promise." - William Dean Howells

5 comments:

Karama said...

I would love a NatureMill indoor composter! If you're interested too, visit NatureMill to learn more. If you decided to order, email me at sowhatcanido@gmail.com and I'll arrange for free shipping. Referrals help me get a machine for our home. Thanks, and happy composting.

Anonymous said...

I sell the ORCA machines, and I have never been so excited about a product in my life! Emory and Sodexo are breaking into new territory in the sustainable arena. The most amazing aspect of the ORCA is that it works-it really works!

Karama said...

Thanks Anon! I know I was excited when I saw the slides. I hope more institutions and people will start using similar technology.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to So What Can I Do. Please come back again soon, and spread the word!

Karama said...

Here's a story from the Emory Report about the ORCA at Cox Hall. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link, Kim!

Karama said...

Please vote for So What Can I Do for the 2009 Black Web Award for Most Original Blog. Visit http://www.blacktvonline.com/most-original-blog and vote as often as you like before October 5, 2008. Anyone can vote and there's no need to register to do so. Thanks!