Google
 

Monday, August 22, 2005

Give blood every 56 days.

I just made my regular bimonthly appointment to donate blood with the Red Cross. But a reader, Cora Ivy, recently informed me that "more than half the nation's blood is donated to community blood centers" not the Red Cross. I should have remembered that since I got my first 5 gallon pin from regular donations at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (which, unfortunately, no longer has a blood donation center).

60% of Americans are eligible to donate blood, but only 5% do. Help raise that percentage and save a life. Here's how:

* Contribute blood. To find a community blood center near you visit www.americasblood.org. If you prefer, call 1-888-USBLOOD to make an appointment to donate.

* Contribute time as a volunteer for your community blood center where you'll help conduct blood drives and be involved in community education.

* Contribute money to the Foundation for America's Blood Centers "to purchase medical supplies, support blood drives and increase public awareness."

* Consider these four other ways to donate life. There are so many ways to make a difference.

As they say, "Saving the world isn't easy. Saving a life is." A single donation can save up to three lives. Give blood today (or support those who do). Thanks Cora Ivy!

"With blood donations, I can live a more normal life. I can contribute to society. I can live in this world instead of sitting home waiting to die. Life is in the blood. Without blood, there is no life. I can’t think of a better way to save life than to give it." - Rev. Willie Jones, Jr., blood recipient.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a regular donor - give at bonfils blood center. No 5 gal pin though... YET!

Karama said...

Nice work, Elsa! Your pin is coming! There really is a nice send of satisfaction one gets from giving blood (besides the fact that it saves and improves lives). More folks ought to try it.

Thanks for visiting So what can I do. Please stop by again soon, and spread the word!

Karama said...

Please VOTE for So what can I do at the 2005 Black Weblog Awards by August 31. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I have been inspired by you and your postings, I just called the local red cross and made an appointment. I will be donating blood ANNUALLY.
Thank you and God bless you. You have answered the question "what can I do"?

Karama said...

That's excellent, Jackson! It's a small step that will literally save lives (up to three with every donation). Remember, most folks (60% of Americans) are eligble to donate every 56 days. So I hope you'll consider donating even more often.

Thanks for all you are doing, Jackson. Please visit again soon, and spread the word.

Karama said...

Check out this great AJC editorial on blood donation. It's particularly needed during the end of the year.

Anonymous said...

Keep on donating. Did you know that if your blood type is O-negative, then you are a universal donor since anyone who needs blood can receive O-negative blood.

Karama said...

Thanks Anon! Those O neg folks have a special responsibility!

Karama said...

Q: Why can I only donate blood every 56 days?

A: Because it's takes your body 56 days to replenish your blood supply after donation.