Google
 

Monday, October 31, 2005

Eat grub.

The folks at EatGrub.org have a great definition of "grub: healthy, local, sustainable food for all; food that supports community, justice, and sustainability." I can get on board with that! Would you like to join us?

* Eat low on the food chain. "The healthiest diet for our bodies and the earth is a whole foods, plant-based diet. Factory farming contributes to massive air and water pollution and global warming. In the process, we also waste vast amounts of grain and other resources-not to mention the cruelty to animals or the ripple effect of antibiotic resistance from over-use of in animals." Learn more at mypyramid.gov and factoryfarm.org.

* Eat organically grown, in-season, locally-grown, fair-trade and fresh foods. Learn more about local foods, fair-trade foods, and organic foods. You can also garden and grow your own. I'm preparing to grow shitake mushrooms and my compost pile is going strong.

* Help others eat grub. Donate food from your pantry, party, or garden. Support Heifer International and other sustainable development programs. Visit thehungersite.com.

* Vote with your ballot and with your dollars. "One of the best ways you can make a difference on any and all of the issues you care about is to vote and get others to do the same. Voting about what we believe in happens at the ballot box and the supermarket. Each of our consumer and savings choices has a huge impact." Also, consider the ways you can invest responsibly.

Now that's good eating, for the body, mind, and soul! Enjoy and happy trick-or-treating!

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A top idea. Great suggestions on their Take Action page.

Karama said...

Glad you like it, Paul! Thanks for stopping by, and please come again soon.

Hey folks, you may want to check out Paul's blog. It has a similar theme (with a UK flavor) as So what can I do and is called But what can I do. Enjoy!

Karama said...

Hi Lauxa,

Thanks for your comment. I agree that organic, grass-fed animals can be part of a healthy diet. And I doubt anythinks of twinkies or other highly processed foods as 'grub'. Thanks for the reminder to be thoughtful about all the food choices we make.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to So what can I do. Please stop by again soon, and spread the word!

Karama said...

Redlining can make it very difficult for some folks to eat grub.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. In case you care to know, I was searching for hillyard quick & clean air freshner and your blog came up. I am glad I found it though.

Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. In case you care to know, I was searching for clean air act and the commerce clause and your blog came up. I am glad I found it though.

Very nice.