Google
 

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Change the margins.

I just heard about this on NPR and wanted to spread the word. Ever wonder why the margins on most word processing programs are set to 1.25 inches? There's no good reason. It's completely arbitrary and a waste of paper. For years I've changed the margins for printed documents to .75 inches. Now I know I'm not alone. Enter Tamara Krinsky and Change the Margins.

Change the Margins is a website and movement dedicated to reducing paper waste by reducing the margins used when printing. It's a simple concept really, but it can make a big difference. Consider:

* Penn State University research showed that the University could save 72 acres of forest and over $120,000/year by reducing the default margin settings across campus.

* "Each person in an office on average uses 2.5 pounds of paper each week. In the U.S., a ton equals 2000 pounds, so that means every 2 years and 70 days, each person in an office on average uses a ton of paper."

* "Americans discard 4 million tons of office paper every year -- enough to build a 12 foot high wall of paper from New York to California."

* Paper production is one of the top five water consuming industries.

Change the Margins is working to eliminate some of this waste. Visit changethemargins.com to begin convincing your organization to reduce the margins, sign a petition to Microsoft asking them to reduce the default margins, and much more. So before you print your next document, try the following:

--> Send an email instead. Do you really need a hard copy or will a digital version do?
--> Use the back of preprinted paper for drafts.
--> Change the margins to .75 inches. This leaves plenty of room for hole punchers, staples, etc. Don't forget to reduce the top and bottom margins too.
--> Single space or 1.5 space rather than double space the document.
--> Choose a smaller font. Times is much smaller than Courier or Bookman.
--> Reduce the font size. Do you really need 12 point or will 10 or 11 point suffice?

You'll save paper and save money. It's a small step, but it's a start. Today change the margins, tomorrow change the world! Happy printing . . .

“I beg for criticism. You can’t learn anything from a compliment.” – Kanye West

6 comments:

Connecting Stories said...

our 4th grade is on a roll...

We are continuing in our campaign to get our local and state governments and any large institutions we can reach to Change the Margins.

Please look at these materials if you need more information:
http://inventorsnotebookatrium.blogspot.com/2008/05/ppt-on-youtube.html
We have an article on Morning Edition April, 22,2008:
http://www.wbur.org/news/2008/76704_20080422.asp
and we have a "why and how to " video aboutChange the Margins:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_71mKrB7tDI
and where it all started:
http://www.changethemargins.com/

We need your support.
We hope to convince everyone to make efficient margins a policy, effective immediately. Global warming is serious.

We will continue to work on this until school ends.

Anonymous said...

在MSN上,同声传译偶尔会和翻译公司外国朋友交流一番。可是,不会英文,东莞翻译公司无疑会让沟通变得艰难。同声传译如果广州翻译公司只是去查询词典深圳韩语翻译,虽然深圳法语翻译可以明白一两个单词的意思,但是整句到底是什么意思,用英语怎么去说明,怎么能够让外国朋友听懂纳?

  这就需要借助于专业深圳翻译公司的翻译工具和翻译软件北京翻译公司了。深圳翻译公司。而近日,MSN推出了全新的在线翻译机器人服务广州翻译公司上海翻译公司。添加翻译机器人到你的MSN中,深圳德语翻译
深圳俄语翻译
深圳韩语翻译,便可轻松实现广州同声传译在线翻译。

  MSN翻译机器人商务口译同传设备目前深圳翻译和以往深圳英语翻译
深圳日语翻译或者广州翻译公司民间推出的机器人程序相同,同样采用聊天窗口,通过对话实现功能。
深圳同声传译

Anonymous said...

To buy cabal online alz , it is not the aim of the cable. It is the game which brings a lot of happiness to me. We buy the cabal alz together. The beautiful story, we can not be forgotten buy cabal alz . You will not regret to have cabal gold . So I will continue to have cabal money , it is a beautiful fairy tale, it looks like my life.

On account of I have fiesta Gold , I am not afraid of the lonely. At that time I do not know the meaning of it. Later I buy fiesta money . And every time, I have no fiesta online gold , I will feel very anxious. Why I buy fiesta Gold , please it gives me such a warm place. At the moment, I have fiesta online money .

Anonymous said...

What do you know requiem gold. And do you want to know? You can get requiem lant here. And welcome to our website, here you can play games, and you will get requiem money to play game. I know cheap requiem lant, and it is very interesting.Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn much about requiem online gold.
What do you know aoc gold. And do you want to know? You can get conan gold here. And welcome to view our website, here you can play games, and you will get age of conan gold to play game. I know cheap aoc gold, and it is very interesting. Do you want a try, come and view our website, and you will learn how to aoc money. Come and join with us. We are waiting for your coming.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to get some maple mesos and the mesos is given by my close friend who tells me that the cheap mesos is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should maplestory mesos with the spare money and I gain some maple story mesos from other players.
It is the maple mesos which make me very happy these days, my brother says mesos is his favorite games gold he likes, he usually buy some cheap mesos to start his game and most of the time he will win the maplestory mesos back and give me some maple story mesos to play the game.

Anonymous said...

I can get mabinogi gold cheaply,
Yesterday i bought mabinogi moneyfor my brother.
i hope him like it. i will give mabinogi online gold to him
as birthday present. i like the cheap mabinogi very much.
I usually buy mabinogi gold and keep it in my store.

I can get mabinogi gold cheaply,
Yesterday i bought mabinogi moneyfor my brother.
i hope him like it. i will give mabinogi online gold to him
as birthday present. i like the cheap mabinogi very much.
I usually buy mabinogi gold and keep it in my store.v