Google
 

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Take the stairs.

My new office is on the fourth floor, and while waiting for a slow elevator the other day, it occurred to me that I was missing a prime opportunity for exercise. So I turned away, and took the stairs. In the days since, I've used the elevators less and less. It's a great way to get some incidental exercise, and it reduces energy costs to run the elevators. Here are some related tips:

* Walk to a park or a more distant cafe for lunch.
* Use the restroom on another floor and take the stairs.
* Leave something important in your car (your lunch, your cell phone, etc.) so you have to run out to get it (and take the stairs).
* Deliver documents or messages to co-workers in person rather than by email.
* Volunteer to meet people in their office, then walk over.
* Stand or walk while you talk on the phone.
* Use a pedometer and keep track of how many steps you take. Aim for 6,000 to 10,000 steps a day.
* Carry comfortable shoes for workday walking.
* Go for a short walk after work (and miss some of the rush hour traffic!)


These are some great ways to get active and walk with a purpose, and remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

4 comments:

Karama said...

Check out this report about a Yale study on taking the stair. Consider posting signs near the elevator that read, "Why WEIGHT for an elevator? Take steps to save time and burn calories," "Burn some stress; take the stairs," "Bone up to good health; climb the stairs," or "Your heart needs the exercise; here's your chance!" The study suggests that the mere presence of a sign could triple the number of stair climbers. Keep steppin'!

Anonymous said...

I've been using the stairs to get to my third floor office for the past 5 months. About 2 months ago I started using a pedometer to help me reach my target of 10,000 steps a day. Using the stairs adds significantly to my 10K goal and after using the stairs consistently for months, I've noticed that I am no longer winded when I get to the top (the way I was the first week or so!) That's improvement I notice and use as motivation to keep stepping.

Beronda

Karama said...

I'm right there with you, girl! Have you made it to 10K yet? I plan to get a pedometer so I can keep track of my steps. You'll be my inspiration.

As always, thanks for stopping by, Beronda. And howdy to your family.

dghnfgj said...

Joy in warcraft leveling living comes wow lvl from having wow lvl fine emotions,wow power level trusting them,power leveling giving them power leveling the freedom of wrath of the lich king power leveling a bird in the open.wlk power leveling Joy in living can age of conan gold never be assumed as a pose,or put on from guildwars gold the outside as a mask. People who have this joy don not need maple story mesos to talk about it; they radiate it. wow gold They just live out their joy and let wow power leveling it splash its sunlight and glow into other lives as naturally as bird sings.